Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Accession number 1999.66
Catalog Number 1999.66.2
Object Name Flask
Description 1837 Ames Peace Powder Flask, brass and copper, used to carry gun powder. An American Eagle with shield, arrows, and laurel leaves is embossed above a pair of clasped hands within oval sunburst with 13 points and a circle of 26 stars (The number of states in the Union at that time). At the bottom is a Panoply of Arms (cannon, musket, bugle and sword), Colors, and Shield bearing the initials U.S. The screw cap top of the flask is marked "N.P. Ames" & "1837". The spout at the top is 1.25" in length, which includes a soldering repair. Two copper loops extend to either side of the flask 3" from the top. Each loop has a triangular carrying ring through it with a length of leather thong connecting the two rings. The charging mechanism with its spring loading closure is intact under the lid.
Original invoice states "Ames produced 4000 of these flasks under four contracts of 1000 each. The 1837 contracts are dated either "1837" or "1838" depending on when they were received, inspected by the US inspectors and accepted. In addition to the 1837 contract, there were two contracts of 1000 flasks each, let in 1844, all delivered by May 1845; and a fourth 1000 flask contract received in April 1846.
These rifle flasks took the place of the Dingee "Bugle" Flask of 1832 and were stouter and better accepted. The Rifle flask would be issued with rifles and not muskets to regular riflemen, as well as to militia Riflemen that carried the M1817 Common Rifle and the M1841 Mississippi Rifle. Out of only 1000 in this contract and probably less than half of these dated "1837", this is a very rare flask today. "

The Tools of War exhibition (2011) label reads: Ames produced 4000 of these flasks under four contracts of 1000 each to the U.S. Military. The 1837 contracts are dated either 1837 or 1838 depending on when they were received, inspected by the U.S. inspectors and accepted. In addition to the 1837 contract, there were two contracts of 1000 flasks each, let in 1844, all delivered by May 1845 and a fourth 1000 flask contract received in April 1846. The flask has a very patriotic design. An American Eagle with shield, arrows and laurel leaves is embossed above a pair of clasped hands within a circle of stars. These rifle flasks took the place of the Dingee Bugle Flask of 1832 and were stouter and better accepted. The rifle flask would be issued with rifles and not muskets to regular riflemen, as well as to militia riflemen that carried the Model 1817 Common Rifle and the Model 1841 Mississippi Rifle. Out of the 1000 in this contract, probably less than half of the 1837 Ames Peace Flasks remain, which makes this quite rare.
Date 1837
Dimensions H-9 W-4.5 D-1.5 inches
Collection Militaria
Imagefile 006\1999662.JPG