U.S. Model 1836 Waters Single Shot Flintlock pistol, dated 1844, converted to a "Belgium Type" percussion conversion. This conversion consisted of removing all of the external flintlock components, cutting the pan nearly flush with the edge of the gun, drilling a new orifice into the upper right of the barrel for a cone or nipple seat to be threaded into place. The pistol is a smoothbore and all similar pistols of this type are listed as .54 caliber. The pistol has a conventional curved hand grip and an 8.5" barrel that extends out of the wooden body of the gun with a single metal banding at the front of the main body. There is a brass blade front sight mounted on the front of the barrel and a swivel steel ramrod fitted underneath the barrel. There is a triangular trigger protected by a U-shaped trigger guard.
U.S. and inspector markings on the pistol include:
Lockplate Marking on the proper right side: "A.H. Waters & C, Milbury Mass, 1844, S" with an eagle head.
Stock Marking on the proper left side of the body: "P.W." and "..OU" in a cartouche
Additional markings: There is a small "X" stamped on the metal on the proper left side in the mid-body area. An "8" is stamped at the bottom of the rear of the trigger guard strap. An "I" is stamped on the forward end of the trigger guard strap. There is "H 20" (slightly illegible) stamped on the wood at the top of the pistol under the percussion hammer.
The original museum invoice for this object states that "Only 3000 were made with this marking. These were used extensively in the third Seminole War."
The exhibit label for the Tools of War Exhibition (2011) reads: U.S. Model 1836 Waters Single Shot Flintlock pistol dated to 1844. This particular model was converted to a "Belgium Type" percussion cap. This pistol is a smoothbore and all similar pistols of this type are listed as .54 caliber. This pistol has a diagnostic curved hand grip which is typical of pistols of the time period. In 1836 the Ordinance Department contracted for large numbers of a new Model 1836 with Robert Johnson of Middletown CT. and Asa Waters of Millbury, MA. The gun was the last of the government flintlock pistols. Between 1836 and 1844, Johnson and Waters produced a total of more than 35,000 of these models.
|Dimensions||H-2.25 W-4.5 L-13.75 inches|