Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Accession number 1997.17
Catalog Number 1997.17.7
Object Name Rifle
Description Model 1819 Hall Rifle originally manufactured at Harper's Ferry as a flintlock rifle in 1832 and later converted to a percussion rifle (as stated in original invoice). The .69 inch (18mm) caliber single shot breech loading rifle was designed by John H. Hall. An inscription on the top of the steel breechblock states "J.H. Hall, H. Ferry, US, 1832." This indicates that the maker was John Hall, was produced at Harper's Ferry Arsenal, United States, and was made in 1832. The gun was originally a flintlock style ignition, but was converted to the percussion style, probably between the 1840's-1860's. The wood of the stock and barrel appear to be black walnut (per the website http://www.rockislandauction.com/view_item/aid/50/lid/154 which shows the same gun, and mentions walnut). The metal components of the gun are steel. The gun barrel measures 30" from tip to third steel pin-fastened barrel band. The back 6" of the barrel chamber called the breech block pivots upwards for loading bullets. This action occurs when the lever on the bottom of the rifle is released. The buttstock and forearm measure 23". There are two sites located at the front and end of the barrel. The original metal ramrod is present and is stored on the underside of the barrel. The traditional bayonet is not present with this gun. Two elongated metal loops are located on the underside of the rifle for the carrying strap, but the strap is no longer associated with the gun. There are two sites on top of the rifle for aiming.

The exhibit label for Tools of War (2011) reads: Model 1819 Hall Rifle originally manufactured at Harper's Ferry as a flintlock rifle in 1832 and later converted to a percussion rifle. The .69 inch (18mm) caliber single shot breech loading rifle was designed by John H. Hall. An inscription on the top of the steel breechblock states "J.H. Hall, H. Ferry, US, 1832." This indicates that the maker was John Hall, was produced at Harper's Ferry Arsenal and was made in 1832. The gun was originally a flintlock style ignition, but was converted to the percussion style, probably between the 1840's-1860's.
Dimensions H-2.5 W-7 L-52.75 inches
Collection Militaria
Imagefile 003\1997177.JPG