Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Accession number 1994.8
Catalog Number 1994.8.1
Object Name Rifle
Description Model 1819 Hall U.S. breechloading flintlock rifle. Made in Harper's Ferry Armory, 1837.

The Model 1819 Hall rifle was the first regulation breech-loading (that is from the rear) arm adopted by this country and was also the first breech-loading arm made at a national armory. Made at Harper's Ferry Armory, CT, under John H. Hall's patent. This Model was also produced by Simeon North, and were the first arms with fully interchangeable components produced at a national armory and also by a federal contractor. The Hall model 1819 bears the distinction of being the only gun presented by Act of Congress in lieu of a medal or other citation for gallantry in battle.

The ferrous metal ramrod is present and housed below the muzzle. The inscription at the front of the flint lock reads "J. H. Hall, H. Ferry, US 1837". The fore sight slightly to the left of center on the end of the muzzle, but it matches up with the notch in the rear sight. There is a cloth case for the rifle that is not original.

The Springfield Armory has another example of this rifle. In the description on their website (see "related" window for web reference and information on Hall) is quoted here:
U.S. RIFLE MODEL 1819 BREECHLOADING FLINTLOCK HALL .52
Manufactured by Harpers Ferry Armory, Harpers Ferry, Va. in 1837 - Standard Type II model, breechloading, flintlock rifle. Furniture is iron, lacquer browned barrel. Three bands, pins fastened with upper band double-strapped. Both front and rear sight are positioned about thirty degrees to the left of the vertical axis of the barrel. This is necessary due to the position of the cock and frizzen which obstruct sighting in normal manner. Casehardened receiver, cock, frizzen, trigger, release plate and lever. Receiver pivots at the rear and upward by pressing upward and rearward on the release lever. Iron pan is integral with top of receiver. Steel button-head shaped ramrod which is 32" long. First breechloading military arm manufactured in U.S. First arm with interchangeable parts. Weapon weighs approximately 10.4 lbs. Harpers Ferry manufactured 1,200 Hall rifles in 1837. There were 17,680 Type IIs were manufactured between 1828 and 1840.
The exhibit label for Tools of War (2011) reads: The Model 1819 Hall rifle was the first regulation breech loading arm adopted by this country and was also the first breech loading arm made at a national armory. It was constructed at Harper's Ferry Armory in Connecticut, under John H. Hall's patent. This Model was also produced by Simeon North, and were the first arms with fully interchangeable components produced at a national armory and also by a federal contractor The Hall model 1819 bears the distinction of being the only gun presented by Act of Congress in lieu of a medal or other citation for gallantry in battle. Harpers Ferry manufactured 1,200 Hall rifles in 1837. There were 17,680 Type II's manufactured between 1828 and 1840.
Date 1837
Artist Harper's Ferry Armory
Collection Militaria
Imagefile 001\199481.JPG