Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Accession number 1996.35
Catalog Number 1996.35.1
Object Name Pistol
Description Model 1805 Flintlock Martial Pistol made at Harpers Ferry Armory, Virginia, dated 1807. The pistol is a .54 caliber, single-shot, smooth bore flintlock. The total number of these guns produced was 4,096 (Flayderman, 326-7. See related tab). The Model 1805 pistol was the first military handgun manufactured by the national armory. These flintlock pistols were known as "horsemen's pistols" and were produced in pairs. This pistol has stamped markings on the lock plate. "HARPERS FERRY 1807" is stamped on the back of the lock plate and an eagle with US under it is stamped in the middle of the lock plate. "131" is stamped on the proper left back end of the barrel. The barrel, under-rib, thimble and flintlock are steel, the stock is a varnished walnut, and the trigger guard and butt plate are brass. There is a flint in the flintlock and a wooden ramrod stored on the underside of the gun.

The exhibit label for Tools of War (2011) reads: Model 1805 Flintlock Martial Pistol made at Harpers Ferry Armory, Virginia, dated 1807. The pistol is a .54 caliber single shot smooth bore flintlock. The total number of these produced were 4096 (2048 pairs). These flintlock pistols were known as "horsemen's pistols" and were produced in pairs. The Model 1805 was the first military handgun manufactured by a national armory. Although new models would follow shortly, the popular Model 1805 remained in frontier service in both military and civilian hands for about forty years.
Date 1807
Dimensions H-6 W-2 L-16.5 inches
Collection Militaria
Imagefile 002\1996351.JPG