1816 Type III Springfield Musket. The flintlock musket has "Spring / Field / 1824" stamped on the back of the lock plate and "US" under the image of an eagle holding olive branches and arrows. The butt stock and forestock are made out of one piece of wood that extends down the whole length of the barrel. The metal ramrod is stored under the barrel inside the forestock. All of the metal components of the gun are made from steel, except for the flash pan which is brass.
The exhibit label for Tools of War (2011) reads: The U.S. Model 1816 Musket was similar to the Model 1795, but incorporated enough new features to be given a new designation. These muskets were made at the armories at both Springfield, Massachusetts, and Harper's Ferry, Virginia. The Model 1816 Type III Musket was the last military flint-lock to be manufactured by the U.S. Government. Between 1830 and 1840, most manufacturers were making the transition from flint lock to percussion lock. This pattern of musket continued in use until the Mexican-American War where some of these muskets were converted to percussion locks.
|Dimensions||H-3 W-5.25 L-57.5 inches|