Model 1842 Springfield Musket associated with bayonet 1997.17.5 and bayonet scabbard 1997.17.6. This musket is a smoothbore, percussion, .69 caliber musket. The stamped markings on the musket include "SPRING / FIELD / 1848" on the back of the lockplate, "US" with the image of an eagle holding two arrows and an olive branch in the middle of the lockplate, "1848", "VP" and "AR / P" on the back of the barrel, "US" on the top of the buttplate, "R" and "V" on the back of the buttplate, "C" and "P" on the trigger guard and a large "W" stamped into the wood on the proper left back side of the butt. The steel ramrod is in place on the underside of the gun.
The exhibit label from Tools of War (2011) reads: With the important exceptions of a percussion lock and a nipple-and bolster on the barrel, the Model 1842 was nearly identical to the flintlock Model 1840. Early in 1844 Springfield Armory finished the last of the Model 1840 flintlocks and by the end of the year had turned out more than 2900 Model 1842's and by mid 1845, Harper's Ferry had completed more the 2000. This arm, the first U.S. percussion market, was also the last of the long line of government smoothbores, for in the 1850's development of rifling in small arms forced all smoothbore markets into second class status.
|Dimensions||H-2.75 W-5.5 L-57.5 inches|